Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Rise



I spent last weekend in NYC.  It was one of the best trips out there yet!  So full of excitement and emotion.  I had the chance to see several voiceover friends that I haven't seen for a long time at the New York Voice Over Mixer.  The party was at the Arena Event Center in Times Square and the accommodations were perfect.  Erik and Lindsay Sheppard did a great job putting this event together!  It was great catching up with Liz De Nesnera, Dave Courvoisier, Trish Basanyi, John Florian, Erik Sheppard and many more!  Tracy accompanied me to the event and not only did she look stunning, she fit in beautifully.  These kinds of gatherings are so unpredictable.  It's like bringing a date to a high school reunion.  You just never know if they are going to fit in or be bored out of their minds.  By the end of the night, Tracy fit in so well, people assumed she was a voice talent!


The rest of the trip was fun, intense and emotional.  We had a chance to visit the new 9/11 Memorial and it was absolutely breathtaking!  I was there only a few months after the tragedy and it was incredible seeing the progress of the new buildings.  The second you step on to the property, you can still feel it.  I got chills immediately.  It was a beautiful Sunday afternoon as we stood there looking at the names of all of the people who lost their lives.  I have a huge lump in my throat as I write this.  It's hard not to imagine them looking down from heaven, seeing their name and smiling.  A truly remarkable day!


I have to admit that when I am in NYC, it always feels like I have been there 200 times.  For as busy as it is, I feel comfortable...like I belong there.  I feel like popcorn popping around in a popcorn maker and then when I get back to Minneapolis, I feel like melted butter.  This isn't as sad as it sounds.  I just feel like I am at my best when I am out there and it takes me a few days to get back into the swing of things when I return.  I think that is the case with most of us after a vacation.  The best part about visiting cities like NYC, is that they really inspire you to do the best you can do.  For me, I always feel closer to the skies when I am there.
 
Rise by Eddie Vedder on Grooveshark

4 comments:

MikeElmoreTalks said...

I know the feeling. I come back from NYC pumped every time I go there. I can only imagine if I lived there.

If you're still in a NY state of mind this is an easy one to submerge into~~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYmmh9zkpQM

Paul said...

NYC was the city of my youth growing up in CT in the 50s, 60s. Oldest daughter lives in The Bronx, which is an interesting, meaningful story for another day.

Cat said...

Was Tracy your photographer? Those pictures are pretty amazing. I only heard about the event, what, two weeks before? Too close for me to be able to get away. Thanks for sharing!

Terry Daniel said...

Hey Cat! Yes, Tracy took the pictures. She's a very gifted photographer!